Saturday, November 03, 2007

To Boldly Go Where Everyone Is Going...Eventually

I'm not planning on dying anytime soon, but when I do, I would like to be cremated. I just can't stand the knowledge that my body would be put in a hole in the ground where it would be infested with maggots, wasps, and beetles as it rots. Cremation seems so much more sanitary.

The ashes are the problem. I don't have one particular place that comes to mind as the place my ashes should be scattered. Living in Florida, the Gulf of Mexico seems nice, but its a little cliched.

Then today I found the urn I would like to spend eternity in. It, too, is a cliche: nerd wants his ashes in a Star Trek urn. But who cares? The thing looks cool! It looks more like a piece of metal sculpture than the trophy cup look of a typical urn. My kids and grandkids should appreciate such a nice piece to sit on their mantle. It could be worse: they also have Major League Baseball, Precious Moments, and AKC-themed urns.

Yes, the American Kennel Club.

As in urns for your dog.

Star Trek's not sounding so nerdy now, huh?

Oh, and for those of you who prefer to rot than to burn, they have caskets, too.

1 comment:

Fiona Kernaghan said...

Hi, Jake! your blog cracks me up. I want to be cremated, too... and I've often wondered about what to do with my ashes... my husband said once that he'd eat them which is a nice thought. I really dig your Star Trek Urn. Here's hoping you won't be sitting around in it anytime soon. lol.

Hey, I found your blog when I was looking for people who are into Sheryl Crow - 'cause I'm an indie artist trying to get the word out about my own new record... and I just got this, my first review and it liken's some of my stuff to Sheryl's. Would you be cool about publishing it and helping get the word out?

"U.S based Kernaghan, the quiet achiever of the Oz country music clan, has spent much of her career as a songwriter for hire. This, her second album of grown up pop - high on melody and insight, light on twang - is more personal than a tattoo: "Secrets Of The Flesh" has an epic emotional flow that wouldn't have been lost on Sheryl Crow's great Globe Sessions."

Jeff Apter, The Sydney Morning Herald Metro.

http://www.myspace.com/fionakernaghan