Friday, April 20, 2007

Jake's JK: Heads are gonna roll!

As my coworkers will attest, I annoyingly call the Chrysler customer service hotline nearly every day to check on the status of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I was stuck at the same status code for nearly three months (D-firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available) and was given a tentative build date several times by the dealership, only to have each date pass without my JK being built. Each time I was given a new build date a few weeks later than the previous.

Last week my status jumped to D-1, which coincided with my most recent build date of Saturday, April 14. Well, Saturday came and went, and Monday and Tuesday I called to find myself still in "D-1" with a build date of April 18. Thursday (the 19th), I was told by Chrysler customer service that they needed to give me a new order number, and I had moved back to "D". Furious, A called the dealer, who told her that whoever I talked to was wrong, and his computer still showed a build date of April 25th (which we had never heard before).

So I called Chrysler again today, and they couldn't find my "new" order number, so I gave them my original one, which quickly allowed them to find that my last order status was "D1" (even though they told me "D" yesterday) and that my scheduled build date is now May 14th.

MAY FUCKING 14TH!!!!!

I ordered the sonofabitch on January 19th. You can't tell me that it takes four fucking months to schedule and build a Jeep the way I want it. As a matter of fact, I know it doesn't, because I have toured the Audi factory in Ingolstadt, Germany, and they are the model of efficiency and custom manufacturing, and because other people here ordered theirs after I did, and are already driving theirs. One lucky stiff ordered his, only to have it damaged by crashing into an overpass while being delivered to the dealership, and got his replacement built and delivered. All since I ordered mine.

DaimlerChrysler, Chrysler Group, Jeep, and my local dealership (who I will not name because I don't want to give them any publicity-good or bad) have all been pretty apathetic about my situation. None of them seem to think that it's a problem that a returning customer is treated so poorly. If I didn't feel so strongly about the product, I would go elsewhere. I am not willing to sacrifice on brand, model, extras, color, or any other variable. I just want this Jeep:

2007 WRANGLER UNLIMITED X 4-DOOR 4X4 S Pkg.
Flame Red Clear Coat
Roof: Black Soft Top
Interior: Dark Slate Gray/Medium Slate Gray
6-Speed Manual Transmission
Half Metal Doors with Locks
Trailer Tow Group
Command-Trac® Shift-on-the-Fly 4WD System
Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle
Trac-Lok® Limited Slip Rear Differential
4.10 Axle Ratio
16" Aluminum Wheels
368W 7-Spkr Infinity® Sound Sys Incl Subwoofer
AM/FM Stereo Radio w/In-Dash CD Plyr/MP3 Capability
SIRIUS® Satellite Radio
Air Conditioning
Locking Fuel Filler Cap

Actually, I could live without the Trac-Lok Differential and locking fuel cap, and I might take another color or larger wheels, but that's it. Everything else is non-negotiable. If you are a dealer and can get me one faster than May 15th, let me know. If you work for Chrysler or Jeep and can do something to get my production date moved up, please do it. I will be eternally grateful.

No comments: